Functionalities and characteristisc of STEELexpress
The software STEELexpress covers the design and analysis of structural steelwork elements according to Eurocode 3 EN 1993:2005. In a unified environment you design steelwork elements in a simple way. The design of steel structural components cover many needs of a structural design firm. It simplifies all the repetitive and time-consuming every day calculations for concrete elements. In addition, with the analytical reports and Eurocode references, helps for engineers and engineering students to gain familiarity with design according to Eurocode 3.
In a graphical added environment you specify the necessary dimensions, loads and design code parameters of steel components, and the design is immediately performed. Default values and checks for erroneous input values, facilitate the input data process. The detailed calculations can be viewed immediately.
The report, which is created simultaneously, shows in detail all the calculations and the design steps with references to the corresponding design code paragraphs. In case of inadequate design warnings in red colour appear in the report, and on the calculation window. The report quality is high with sketches, graphs and formulas, and with user specified title block, logos and fonts.
In one project you can create as many structural elements (design objects) as you desire. All the data are stored automatically in one file. A dedicated window helps you working with the design objects in a project. Each structural element is well marked with a name and an icon. You can edit, copy or delete design objects in a project with a click of the mouse.
You can select the design objects to be included in the final project report.
With double clicking on a design object you enter its calculation window. With right clicking on a design object you can select actions like computations, report previewing and export file, or drawing.
A help system, guides you through the use of the program and the Eurocode provisions. On-line user's manual and frequently asked questions (F.A.Q.) are included in the program.
The design code parameters and the material properties are according to the requirements of the National Annex. The user can select National Annex region. Parameters and materials can also be adjusted by the user.
Steelwork elements included in the program
Basic design charts and graphs of Eurocode 3
- Buckling curves
- Elastic critical moment for lateral buckling Mcr,
- Effective length of braced and unbraced members
- dimensions, geometric properties
- resistance values
- buckling resistance and lateral buckling resistance for various buckling lengths.
- Resistance of cross-sections for various single or combined actions
- Buckling and lateral buckling of members
Connections of steel members
- Simple tension connections (single double shear and splice joints)
- Beam to beam connections (beam continuation, Gerber connection, connection with web cleats)
- Beam to column connections (with web cleats or end plates)
- Portal frame connections (Apex connection, eve connections simple or with hunch, Base connections simple or fixed).
- Connections with pins. (Pin ended member, Gerber beam)
Steel Beam design
- Single beams (simply supported, fixed in one end or fixed in both ends). Combination of uniform triangular or concentrated loads. Various lateral length supports.
- Floor beams of one or two spans or one span and cantilever. Laterally unrestrained, restrained at one or two intermediate points, or totally restrained.
- Roof beams of one or two spans. Snow, wind pressure and under pressure, imposed load.
- Purlin design. Simply supported or continuous. Laterally restrained or unrestrained.
Steel column design
- Single members in compression (various end conditions and buckling lengths)
- Columns under axial load, or axial load and single or double bending.
- Columns in simple constructions (simple columns, columns in braced or unbraced frames)
Steel frame design
- Single bay portal frames under vertical and horizontal loadings
- Single bay portal frames under vertical and horizontal loadings, with concentrated loads on the columns
- Single bay portal frames under snow, wind and seismic loading.
Design of bracing systems
- Vertical bracing system
- Horizontal bracing systems
Design of footings of steel structures
- Pinned footing under vertical and horizontal loading
- Fixed footing under vertical and horizontal loading and moment
- Footings resisting horizontal forces only with passive earth pressure
- Footings with horizontal ties in order to resist horizontal forces
- Design base plate design and base anchoring system. For simple and fixed base connection
With the program you create and manipulate various design objects or structural steelwork elements. The design objects can be a variety of steelwork parts of a structure such as: beams, columns, connections, simple frame structures, footings, etc. All the program activity takes place within the main window.
Within a project you may create as many design objects as you want. All the data are saved in one project file. A common report is created. You can select the steelwork objects that you want to include in the report. The main window displays and handles all the necessary information and actions for the design objects of the project.
You can create new design objects with the action buttons at the top of the main program window.
Each design object, with a name you specified, and a characteristic icon, is shown in a list in the [Design objects] window. From this window you can regulate their appearance and the order of appearance in the report. The right side window shows the calculations of the selected design object.
By double clicking a design object you enter its calculation window, where you specify the dimensions, the loads and the design code parameters. When the object is created the parameters take the default values. All the required data are well marked with a sketch, and the appropriate dimensions. The program constantly checks for wrong or inappropriately entered values.
With right clicking a design object you can select from the popup menu actions like computation, report previewing, printing, exporting, or CAD drawing.
In front of every design object is a check box. Only the objects that are checked will be included in the common report.